6 Tips for Getting to World-Class Knowledge Value
Now that we’ve fully explored the Knowledge Value Maturity Model, the question remains: where do you start? To help you we’ve included some tips for your initial efforts, culled from our own experience with a wide variety of organizations.
1. In order to start the move to world-class, an incremental approach is best. Your initial implementation should:
- Start with a targeted application for a specific audience
- Show a “proof of concept” that can spread
- Provide tangible benefits and profits for “selling” to the rest of the organization
2. Rome wasn’t built in a day – don’t expect to implement a world-class knowledge portal in a week. Choose a group and a function that will clearly benefit from moving toward intelligent content, push-and-pull functionality, and knowledge integration, and concentrate your efforts there first.
3. Decide on your ROI variables before beginning the project. What do you expect to achieve? What level of translation savings, content creation efficiency, or customer interaction will define a “successful” project? Make sure you will be able to measure the results you expect. Remember that to accurately measure the success of the project, you must have accurately measured your baseline before you begin.
4. Departmental buy-in is a priority. If you expect members of your team or department to change their workflow or open up their content to others, you need to show them how the changes will make their workflow better or more effective. Directives from above, if they are only from above, can create resistance from below.
5. Join silos – don’t try to break them! Your different departments work with different tools and repositories for a reason. Whenever possible, allow them to continue their current workflow and simply join the results with a flexible portal.
6. Finally, don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are numerous forums for DITA and intelligent content where knowledgeable colleagues are only too happy to share their experiences and answer questions. And if you need professional consulting, services or an out-of-the-box knowledge portal (like SuiteShare!), be sure to come talk to us at Suite Solutions.
Have questions or comments? Like to share a phlebotinum scenario with me? Let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear your feedback.